Mercedes-Benz C320 vs. BMW 330i

No it's not. The 2004 coupes had a mild facelift to match the sedans, but that's about it. The next generation isn't expected until 2005 or 2006.

Are you gonna post these comparison questions on every single thread like you do on mbworld? Your answers are basically going to be in favor of the BMW since this is a BMW site. But, I believe there are a few more Audi owners on here than mbworld.

http://edmunds.com/new/2003/bmw/3se...html?tid=edmunds.n.prices.leftsidenav..8.BMW*

I hope this helps. Scroll down to "detailed comparisons" and click ont he link that says "specs". There should be a side by side comparison of the 330i, c320, the audi a4 etc. Personally, I would go with the BMW. More horsepower, less weight. I think the bmw interior looks a lot nicer too. I dont like the controls and dash in the...ahem... CHRYSLER [;)] c-class. Haha. But it all comes down to personal preference. I do think that when it comes down to the exterior comparison, the c class does look nice. I personally love the bmw (e46) coupe body style, but do not like the sedan body as much. In anycase, overall, I would rate the BMW higher. It would be more fun to drive. [driving] Can't mess with the BMW handling and suspension. After all, it IS the ultimate driving machine! Good luck with your decision![thumb]

Last edited:

epj3

Kain said:
Does anyone know where I can read some good unbias C-Class vs. 3 Series reviews/shootouts?
No matter WHERE you look the reviews will be biased in some sense. But I can tell you that autoweek said that the best midsize coupe/sedan were the BMW 3 series. BMW won every class, except the SUV class and those other classes that BMW is not involved in (IE pickup trucks, minivans, etc.) Though you dont realize how good BMW did in these unless you got the magazine and flipped page after page of BMW's [:)]

http://autos.msn.com/advice/windowshop.aspx?contentid=4021168&src=NRES_Jump

To me it's pretty simple. You can get the specs to both cars online, but if you really want to compare em, go to the dealerships. Test drive both, look at both, and get the car you feel most comfortable in. You dont need anymore reviews and opinions. GO OUT THERE AND CHECK EM OUT FOR YOURSELF! Thats the only way you'll really know which is right for you,a nd have no regrets about the decision you make.

Kain said:
Does anyone know where I can read some good unbias C-Class vs. 3 Series reviews/shootouts?
Seriously, just test drive them. All the magazines are generally only interested in teh sport aspect and BMW owns that category. You might want a little more luxury or like the image MB portrays. Every person is different. Some people think the C-class is luxurious, some don't (my parents thought it was far worse than the E or S class, I think it's just fine). I wanted a little luxury, but cared more about the handling and feel. BMW gave me that moreso than the C-class (well, I couldn't afford a C32).

I don't think Mercedes have lots of reliability problems compared to BMW. If you look at this forum, there are constantly new people signing up and posting about their problems with their BMW's. All in all, I'd say reliability is about the same. The C320 is a great and well-built German vehicle just like the BMW. Personally, I am a huge fan of Mercedes (as well as BMW, of course), but I still think the BMW 3-series is a better buy. The C320 has a softer and smoother ride and is overall more comfortable/luxurious. The BMW is more fun to drive and defines true driving pleasure. Both are in the same price range, so it's really whether if you like to be nice and comfortable and luxurious in your car (Mercedes) or if you like to be an involved driver and get pleasure out of driving from Point A to Point B (BMW).

flashinthepan

Consumer Reports - New Cars:

Consumer reports rates's the 330ci the best in its class, however will not recommend it due to reliablity issues, apparently things have slipped in that department ??

I have crossed my fingers on the reliabilty and ordered one.

[ohcrap]

mb vs. bmw

Dont get me wrong but mercedes are fast as hell but the price is out of control. Mercedes are classy but the price is nuts i repeat myself again. Bmw especially the 95 - 2001 are more classier and better to rely on and better safty ratings and the price is halfway descent for what u get. The best mercedes is better than the best bmw but i would rather have a bimmer just because it is a bimmer. Am i right?[mad]

I dunno about the price being out of control. The standard features on Mercedes is pretty decent <cough*alarm*cough>. Plus, most of the cars can be had for invoice or less. Not the AMGs or SLs obviously, but the C class and E class all tend to sell for around invoice or less with no real haggling needed.

epj3

flashinthepan said:
Consumer Reports - New Cars:

Consumer reports rates's the 330ci the best in its class, however will not recommend it due to reliablity issues, apparently things have slipped in that department ??

I have crossed my fingers on the reliabilty and ordered one.

[ohcrap]
Dont believe consumer reports. Companies get their fingers into those reviews. The only magazine I trust is Autoweek, becuase readers review the cars and then autoweek sums it up.

CandyApple7 said:
S? CL? G? E is a little expensive
I built a comparable 530i for $49,845. We just got an E320 Sport for $48,900. E class isn't realy more expensive than a BMW 5 series b/c BMW comes w/ squat and once you throw options on there, the price evens out.

First of all, Consumer Reports sucks. Instead of just reviewing one aspect, they review toothbrushes to toasters to automobiles. So because of their broad category, there is no specialization and they usually do not know what they are talking about. Bottom line, Consumer Reports sucks at reviewing everything, particularly cars. Their 0-60mph tests are slow, they bring up stupid points, and their reviews do not explain much...they are just not car people.
As for the price, I think both companies are just about even. A fully-loaded C320 4Matic and a fully-loaded BMW 330xi both equal out to around $46K - $47K. As for the other classes, the price for Mercedes can get very high when they are fully loaded, but one does not need to get all the options, such as the $3,000 Distronic Cruise Control system, or the $2,000 hands-free mobile phone kit. And if someone is looking for a really sporty luxury vehicle, the AMG models are a great alternative to BMW's M offerings (key word being "alternative").