Which oil is best for the 330Ci??

RedShift

Guys, watch what advice you give. Mobil 1 5w-30 is not spec'd for long drain intervals. Only Mobil 1 0w-40 is if you insist on using Mobil 1. I for one only use BMW 5w-30 oil in my 330Ci. There are others out there spec'd for long drain intervals but I prefer not to take chances with my baby [:I]

Big Daddy

Well I guess you failed to notice that I said, "I have used Mobil1 for years and have always changed my oil every 5,000 miles, never a sludge. I have never believed in BMW's 15,000 mile oil change and when my car was new I changed it once myself between each 15k BMW change!" Hardly a "long drain interval", regardless they do make a 5w-30 "Extended Performance oil". You can read about it on their web site, Mobil 1. Do you have any idea who makes BMW's oil, they do not! In the early 90's it was Mobil 1, than they contract with Castrol, so really what is "BMW" oil?

RedShift

Big Daddy, you are correct. BMW does not make it's own oil. They contract with Castrol to do that. I'm sure that anyone who religiously changes their oil every 5k miles with a full synthetic oil has nothing to worry about. I was just pointing out that Mobil 1 5w-30 is not spec'd for the real long drain intervals that BMW allows. When telling people what oil to use I generally tell them what the manufacturer recommends, after all they built the engine [;)]. I split the difference and change my oil every 7500 miles with BMW 5w-30 and lots of people on the forums use Mobil 1 0w-40 because it is also spec'd for long drain intervals. YMMV [:p]

Big Daddy

However again, they do make a 15k interval spec 5w-30, as I said in the last post, "they do make a 5w-30 "Extended Performance oil". You can read about it on their web site, Mobil 1". Here is what they say on the site, "You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a high-endurance motor oil designed for longer service intervals. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed." Here is the list of "Extended Performance" oils from their site,
"Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 "

From the Mobil 1 site, "Mobil 1 Extended Performance contains an extra performance additive to help deliver exceptional performance and protection. This fully synthetic technology is designed specifically for longer service intervals. Appropriate viscosities of Mobil 1 Extended Performance also meet all the requirements for GF-4. Additionally, they exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and various ACEA (European) specifications."

Could be your timing chain tensioners. It could be your vanos as well, they fo tend to rattle a little.

Well I brought my car into the shop last week and they basically told me the washer fluid not working and the rattling in my engine are intertwined... This is basically what I need done

water pump (guess its leaking?) 89.75
thermostat 68.50
labor $123

Idler Pulley 43.25
tension Pulley 75.85
labor 65.60

washer pump 38.55
gromet 2.00

All in all probably close to 600 bucks with tax......

I'm not sure how the washer pump and the other items are intertwined????

But the worn idler and tension pullers can make a variety of noises. I replaced them a few years ago on my '94 and it was noticeably quieter.

SlowJazz

Thanks for the heads up..

Well I guess you failed to notice that I said, "I have used Mobil1 for years and have always changed my oil every 5,000 miles, never a sludge. I have never believed in BMW's 15,000 mile oil change and when my car was new I changed it once myself between each 15k BMW change!" Hardly a "long drain interval", regardless they do make a 5w-30 "Extended Performance oil". You can read about it on their web site, Mobil 1. Do you have any idea who makes BMW's oil, they do not! In the early 90's it was Mobil 1, than they contract with Castrol, so really what is "BMW" oil?