V8-powered BMW M3 revealed

Big Daddy

BMW’s M3, scheduled for launch next year, will feature V8 power for the first time, derived from the same powerplant propelling its road-rocket siblings, the M5 and M6. The 4.0-liter engine should deliver 415 hp via a seven-speed sequential manual gearbox or an optional six-speed manual.

In these photos our spy caught the M3 on a test drive near Munich, allowing us to reveal the car from every angle. Note the large air intakes at the front end, wider fenders and four exhaust pipes.

BMW’s sunshine-loving buyers will have to wait an extra year for the convertible M3, along with a rumored four-door “bring the family” M3 sedan.

Autoworld

I know you wont believe this but driving back from Garmisch last week I think I spotted that car. I was behind it when I fist noticed it but when I caught up it turned off the autobahn. I was wondering why a 3 series had that many exhaust pipes. It had to been it. All I know is it going to be a monster. [thumb] [headbang]

mclarensmps said:
are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there an ugly bulge on the bonnet. maybe its just the camo.
Yeah, I see that too. Probably needed more clearance for the V8, so that scabbed a power dome in temporarily. You can see what look like rivets around the bulge. I'm sure it will be better sculptured when it goes into production.

At least they didn't make it a big ugly hood scoop.

they say its a V8 derived from the same engine as the M5/M6, most likely it is an 8 cylinder variant of that V10 with the same bells and whistles just two less cylinders. I don't remember the old engine making that much BHP stock though could be wrong.

ooooh....okay. i was not familiar with the word "derived" so i assumed a wrong meaning. a good dictionary might help sometimes [rofl]

the old M5 had straight 400 hp. that is already pretty close isn´t it?

wizard

Wadula said:
i thin kthe article is wrong. they write the V8 will be the one also used in M5 and M6. That can only be the old M5 as the current M5 and 6 have V10 engines, don´t they?

I know you guys are going to think I'm crazy but...I think it's a mistake putting in a V8 into the M3. It's just going to make the car that much heavier and will ultimately change the character of the car. I know the current engine is limited to it's hp output but ....

Man I don't think you're crazy, I LOVE the sound of the 3.2L I6. But, I'm pretty sure the new M3's 4.0L V8 is supposed to weigh the same as the 3.2L I6 so that doesn't matter.