shifting points

I just started driving manual stick shift (04 330Ci - 6 speed). Can someone can tell me at what RPM I should shift to accelrate the fastest in each gear? Thanks for all your help!

Shift just at about the redline. The power curve starts to drop off before the redline, but by the time you made the shift the RPM's will drop to the sweet spot again. I have found out that shifting at the cut-off or below redline doesn't make the car go faster.

this is just my opinion, and i could be way wrong, but you really shouldnt shift at high rpm's often, especially just during day-today driving.....when i learned to drive stick i was taught that a good all aorund shift point during just regular driving is between 2.5K and 3.5K rpm's. then, when you want to drive a little more aggresively, thats when you shift at the the peak power points [burnout]

I agree with crupdawg. In my car, I keep my rpm's at 2K - 4K, usually averaging 2,600-2,700rpm. I don't like to go below 2K rpm's because my engine is not happy there. If you want maximum acceleration, then the simple answer is to just redline every gear. You do lose lots of torque and hp after 6,000rpm, but you should go to redline because you want to hold the easier gear for as long as possible before you upshift to a harder gear.

wookie said:
Dude, you're joking, right ?
Nope, not joking. [driving] This is designed to give you the ability to use all power if you need it, in case you are passing for instance. Normally A/C would rob you of about 15-20% of power available.

15-20 %??? where did you hear that fairy tale?

max a compressor will take is like 7-10 hp. at a 330i 15% would mean more than 30 hp!!!!! 30 !!!! you know that this actually could coolyou down to 0° kelvin, right?

First gear seems to be pretty weak. I usually rev between 2500 - 3000 rpm from standstill in first gear at the stop light and any car can pass me.

The engine only wakes up above 5000 rpm and you need to shift to 2nd quickly.

Always shift at close to RPM will kill your clutch and engine really fast.

funny, i never noticed a difference between a/c on or off during driving. onky thing i do notice is a slightly higher idle but that's normal.
during accelerating there is no recognizable difference if on or off.

oh, mpg goes down of course [rofl]

In my car I have to push the gas deeper a bit to get the same acceleration. Also, it hesitates a little, not as eager to go. I tried with and w/o the A/C and always preferred the feel w/o it on. It may have something to do with DBW throttle...