My Car Shut Of While Driving On The Expressway Until An Hour Later

EuRoKLuB

i Have A Black 2004 330ci With Performance Pkg.

My Car Shut Of While Driving On The Expressway Until Over An Hour Later. I Dont Know What The Problem Could Be. Then 2-3 Times The Last 2 Days The Car Wouldnt Stay On. The Car Would Start And Idle For A Second The First Time And Then Shut Off. Then Afterwords At The Start Of Idle And Start Of Engine, The Car Would Die. I Really Hope Its Not An Expensive Problem.

Can Someone Please Help Me.

Thank You In Advance.

Big Daddy

Are there any codes, error lights, etc? I would start with the basics, air, fuel and spark. Are you getting all three? When was the last time the car was tuned up, how many miles are on her, etc. We need more information.

EuRoKLuB

Are there any codes, error lights, etc? I would start with the basics, air, fuel and spark. Are you getting all three? When was the last time the car was tuned up, how many miles are on her, etc. We need more information.
I dont see any error codes, at least I dont think so. It says oil service. I was going to do an oil change but didnt have chance to. There are no lights on at all.

It has 69,000 miles. I drive a lot.

Big Daddy

Is the car running at normal operating temperatures when it shuts down? What you describe with starting after sitting (cooling down) almost sounds like a vapor lock, but I doubt that is the problem. Check that all the ground straps are tight, including the battery terminal ground. Have you replaced your fuel filter recently?

EuRoKLuB

Is the car running at normal operating temperatures when it shuts down? What you describe with starting after sitting (cooling down) almost sounds like a vapor lock, but I doubt that is the problem. Check that all the ground straps are tight, including the battery terminal ground. Have you replaced your fuel filter recently?
Engine seems to be running cooler than normal/ middle. I dont know.

The straps are tight.

No I was thinking to replace it, but i doubted that would be the cause of the problem. Could it?

Big Daddy

Your temp is normal if it is in the middle, every BMW I have owned has run dead center of the temp guage. I would change the fuel filter, it is possible it is getting blocked, when the car sits for an hour it flows back and unblocks the system. (this is grasping at straws, but it is inexpensive and needs to be done anyway)

EuRoKLuB

My gauge the last couple times I checked was always past the middle towards the cooler side. I thought that was od because it used to always be in the middle.

EuRoKLuB

After thinking about it for a while, there was or is an iginition coil issue with the E46's. I wonder if you have a bad coil or two?

I just found the info below. Do I have m54 or m56? On the right side of the door when I open it says 06/04. Im guessing that was the production date.

There was a recall for failing coil packs. A dealer can tell you if this recall fix has been performed. The following build date & vin ranges were affected by this recall:

E46 with M54/M56 from 09/02 up to 12/04 production date.

Big Daddy

M54
Straight 6 DOHC 24V with Dual VANOS. 2000-present. 126kg 277lbs
Used in late model Z3, all E39 and E46 six cylinder models
2.0 (150bhp), 2.2 (170bhp), 2.5 (184-192bhp), 2.8 (193bhp), 3.0 (231bhp)

M56
Straight 6 DOHC 24V Dual VANOS with ULEV. 2002-present. 127kg 280lbs
Used in some E39 and E46 six cylinder models
2.5 (184bhp)