Just like Christmas!

Pictures now.

I'm super happy with them. Those two inches make a world of difference in handling, too. I noticed the increased responsiveness just backing down the driveway. I deffinately feel more bumps now, but it's not an uncomfortable ride.

The pics are kind of crappy and quickly done, sorry. I need to wash it, and I'll take some decent pictures after I do.

Old and new. Hmm... which looks better?

epj3

I like it! But you NEED TO LOWER THE FRONT OF THAT!! I don't understand why the e34 doesn't have the same rake as all other bmw's. They look so good when lowered.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Those ASA's look GREAT guy! I am going tomorrow to order my ASA AR1's(finally) in gloss black with polished aluminum lip(19")....I should have them on the car by the 25th of this month....ASA are such great looking rims for chump change compared to other rims...and get this: They learned all of the processes from guess who? Yep....BBS!

epj3

adrean8j said:
Those ASA's look GREAT guy! I am going tomorrow to order my ASA AR1's(finally) in gloss black with polished aluminum lip(19")....I should have them on the car by the 25th of this month....ASA are such great looking rims for chump change compared to other rims...and get this: They learned all of the processes from guess who? Yep....BBS!
"learned the processes"? Thet actually use the exact same processes AND materials as bbs.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
ASA LP casts and shot peens their rims...BBS for their "comparable" rim use one piece forge construction..so not EXACTLY the same pocesses...for those who want to know more on ASA check here: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/asa/asa_info.jsp

Here are AR1's I am getting....

20" rims cost only $259 each! The comparable BBS Rims cost over $700 each....now does the 5pounds lighter BBS's justify paying $400 dollars extra? mmm...you decide I already have!

epj3 said:
I like it! But you NEED TO LOWER THE FRONT OF THAT!! I don't understand why the e34 doesn't have the same rake as all other bmw's. They look so good when lowered.
I absolutely agree. That'll probably be what I do the next time I have spare money lying around.

epj3

foomonkey525i said:
I absolutely agree. That'll probably be what I do the next time I have spare money lying around.
That's part of the reason I ditched the e34... the total cost to redo the e34's suspensoin with all STOCK OEM parts is almost $500 more than if I did the same stuff on the m3 with AFTERMARKET [8]

I cleaned it last night and took some more pictures. Had to take pictures as proof that it was clean... On the way home from my dad's house, I ran through a huge, dense cloud of mayflies--so much for having a clean grill, windshield and mirrors. Plus my place of employ has a gravel parking lot, so it's hard to stay clean working there.

Funny story... Today I had a mattress delivered for my appartment in the fall. The guy who delivered it noticed my car and told me about his '94 Cadillac DeVille with 20's... It was all I could do not to make a grunting groaning scoffing noise at him.

adrean8j said:
20" rims cost only $259 each! The comparable BBS Rims cost over $700 each....now does the 5pounds lighter BBS's justify paying $400 dollars extra? mmm...you decide I already have!
5 pounds lighter at each corner. That's 20 lbs saved. Wait. No that's wrong. It's 20 lbs of unsprung weight saved! Big difference. I'm not going to go into the physics and dynamics of unsprung weight and rotational inertia because I need to be at a bar very soon.

By reducing the unprung weight (through the miracle of science) you greatly help in handling and acceleration.

It's also commonly said that 1 lb of unsprung weight saved is equivalent to saving 10 lbs of sprung weight. So with the total of 5lbs x 4 wheels = 20 lbs unsprung. you actually save 20lbs x 10 = 200 pounds of sprung weight. 200 lbs off your car. That's a hgue difference. And when you consider than every 100 lbs of sprung weight dropped usually results in 0.1 seconds dropped in a 1/4 mile time, you will be saving 0.2 seconds in the quartermile.

So not only do you help with handling, but your car becomes faster, mroe responsive, and isn't as harsh to ride in.

Comfort, handling, and acceeleation, all in one wheel decision. amazing

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
B M W said:
5 pounds lighter at each corner. That's 20 lbs saved. Wait. No that's wrong. It's 20 lbs of unsprung weight saved! Big difference. I'm not going to go into the physics and dynamics of unsprung weight and rotational inertia because I need to be at a bar very soon.

By reducing the unprung weight (through the miracle of science) you greatly help in handling and acceleration.

It's also commonly said that 1 lb of unsprung weight saved is equivalent to saving 10 lbs of sprung weight. So with the total of 5lbs x 4 wheels = 20 lbs unsprung. you actually save 20lbs x 10 = 200 pounds of sprung weight. 200 lbs off your car. That's a hgue difference. And when you consider than every 100 lbs of sprung weight dropped usually results in 0.1 seconds dropped in a 1/4 mile time, you will be saving 0.2 seconds in the quartermile.

So not only do you help with handling, but your car becomes faster, mroe responsive, and isn't as harsh to ride in.

p.s. Just to be clear....if you can afford it then "go for it"......I would.....

Comfort, handling, and acceeleation, all in one wheel decision. amazing
And all only applicable if you AutoX or race alot and I mean alot...that much a difference in price is not justifiable if all you do are the "occasional" light to light sprints. Without going into "physics" the amount of handling change experiences on everyday roads at normal to just above normal speeds is also negligible. I use the autobahn every single day going speeds in excess of 100 mph....every single day. And my heavy ass rims do it with no external probs.....240kmh on the autobahn....so that amount of difference isnt justifiable to ME...had to get that in there(someone accused me of making fun of them in another thread) LOL...

For some people it is justifyable. Not everyone is like you. Maybe soem people do indeed enjoy the extra benefits of lighter wheels. I was just simply posting because noone prior to me had posted to the dynamics and advantages of of a lighter wheel.