e30 suspension

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
Lowen, How do you like the GC Camber so far¿ I have yet to find a flaw. Also, do you guys carry the koni adjustables for the E30 318i. I am going to be needing a new set here in the near future.

rjp325i

Lowen,
I see the white E30 has the battery in the engine compartment. Is this car a 325ic or a converted 318i? What headers are on this car?

Bob

Last edited:
Steve-

This is a project we are currently working on. However the difficulty is the fact that the year/models are setup different in that area. So thus making it hard to make a "one fits all" model. I think we've got the (i) models pritty much fiqured out. It's a current project thats been put on hold the last few weeks as it's just been very busy around here. So look for them in the very near future to be available.

Sparco bars are available in stock now (not on site yet, but we do have them).

junglestylz-

I love the GC plates. I'm currently running them on 4 of our cars. I originally started out with the KMAC's as alot of the racers like them as they offer alot of adjustments. However I found way to many little things with them that I hated. So I tried a set of the GC and fell in love (they are cheeper aswell).

Yes we do carry the Koni's aswell as a few other brands. They are not listed on the site as of yet as we don't have alot of overhead products when it comes to springs/shocks at the moment (we are working on it). We can always special order just about anything aswell. We also try very hard to be the lowest price around, we arn't always, but we try our best to be. You know the # if ya ever need to call and speak to one of us. Thanks!

rjp325i

Lowen,

I like the headers. Were you able to quantify if there is an improvement over stock? Where are they available and at what price? I have a 325iA with a Conforti chip and have been investigating what is available. Mostly what I found are available for manual trans only but the shorties appear to work with automatics and leave the O2 sensor intact. What type of finish is on the cam cover (valve cover)? It doen't appear to be just paint. It looks great.

Last edited:
Lowen, Would it be this car.
3.0l M20, very nice E30.

Do you sell the modified rear subframes with the adjustable Toe & Camber??

I'm running Koni Yellows with Jamex springs in my E30.
Love the shocks, springs are a bit crap and a little to low.
Can you recomend some good springs to go with the Koni's[confused]

rjp325i-

I don't think I've ever heard of a set of headers being auto/manual specific. The M20 engine is the m20 engine in all 325 cars (i and e does not matter in regards to headers). I do not know the results of them on a stock engine, as the owner did a stroker build when he upgraded to them. I've used the stahl long headers on a built m20 and have had great results. I have not personally used the shorty's on my own car (yet). The shorty's can be pickedup reasonably in the $300 range.

E30-323TI-

We do not sell full subframe assembly, but we do sell adjustable kits for the rear. Email me for more info.

As far as springs go, it really depends on what your going to be using the car for, what you want to lower it (if any), aswell as pricerange your wanting to spend. These are some key factors when it goes into picking up a new set of springs. The Koni's are a great shock though!

rjp325i

Lowen,
I never did either until I read an add for long headers and Remus exhaust in the Bavarian Autosport catalog (p10). I think it might have to do with the O2 sensor location and the fact you don't see automatics on the racetrack racing. Do you have any ideas?
Bob

Last edited:
To everyone that has read this post...please be aware that every photo in this thread that has been shown by Lowen Design is of Dave's Adam's 92 M-Tech Cabrio.

Lowen has not done any of the work, etc...to/for this car. For example...Lowen (Indiana), Dave (SF, California)...let's be realistic [rolleyes]

Dave92ic

Hmm, looks like almost everything has been changed, I only see one pic of my car (engine). For the record, I do not mind if people link to the articles (what they are there for), and if linking to pics I just ask that credit be given where it is due. I do not have any association to Lowen Design (or any other company, for that matter...)

Thanks!
Dave

Dave92ic said:
Hmm, looks like almost everything has been changed, I only see one pic of my car (engine). For the record, I do not mind if people link to the articles (what they are there for), and if linking to pics I just ask that credit be given where it is due. I do not have any association to Lowen Design (or any other company, for that matter...)

Thanks!
Dave

this guy never ceases to amaze me. kraig/adam whatever should be hunted down and killed

To everyone that has read this post...please be aware that every photo in this thread that has been shown by Lowen Design is of Dave's Adam's 92 M-Tech Cabrio.
And in many other threads as well. This website went through a major update about a week ago and all previous posts were archived.

Steve

OK, now that genuinely smart people are reading this...

On Dave Adam's site he says he originally went with 300# springs in the front and, eventually, 750# springs in the rear. When he changed to the coilovers ke kept the front at 300# and changed the rear to 550#. I'm in the process of lowering and changing out the suspension components on my 91 e30 Cabrio and I'm wondering why the change? How was the ride with both size springs?

Someone who shall not be named suggested 300# and 600# but most of that post mysteriously disappeared.

Steve

i'm not positive on what kinda setup he is running, but if it's a true coilover in the rear, u have to consider the fact that our rear suspension setup is different than the front...

in the front, a coilover is basically what we already have... but in the rear the shocks mount in a different spot than the springs... basically the change in spring weight is needed due to the fact that the spring is no longer mounted in the same spot when u go to a true rear coilever & different pressures are exerted on it so the spring weight is going to be totally different than the stock setup...

but this may not be relivant, depending on what kinda suspension the person you are referring to is running on... but if it's true coilovers in the rear, then i may be somewhere on target

Last edited:

Dave92ic

bichmgnt said:
On Dave Adam's site he says he originally went with 300# springs in the front and, eventually, 750# springs in the rear. When he changed to the coilovers ke kept the front at 300# and changed the rear to 550#. I'm in the process of lowering and changing out the suspension components on my 91 e30 Cabrio and I'm wondering why the change? How was the ride with both size springs?
Hmm, I must not be very clear on what I did...
I had stock suspension until I switched to the Ground Control suspension setup. I started with 300# front and 450# rears, and found the rears to be way too soft. I replaced the rears with 550# springs, and found it to not be much better. I eventually changed the fronts to 375# and the rears to 750# and I am really happy with it.

Part of the problem was that the rear of the car would bottom out on some of the hills here in SF. This may have been in part to the cylindrical shape of the rear springs. Apparently they have gone to a barrel shape rear spring, which should help with this problem. I may eventually switch to the newer springs, though I would stick with my existing spring rates.

Does that help?

Dave

Dave,

You explain fine. I just don't read so good.

OK, you went from stock directly to the coilovers. With the different geometry of the coilovers versus that of the stock setup, do you think you would use the same spring stiffness when replacing the stock springs?

Another question, are there any performance benefits, besides being able to easily adjust the ride height, to getting the coilovers? I'm trying to avoid having to get the front struts cut and welded to put the coilovers in.

I have another question but I'll PM you about it.

Thanks,

Steve