330I or Acura TL ?

01986s

I need someone to convince me that the 330I would be the better value.

BMW 43,000
Acura 33,000

Help (no flames please)

Big Daddy

It appears that you already have a sportscar, and seeing the BMW is a multi-purpose car, you appear to have the performance and handling part of it in the Boxster. I am not saying the Acura is not sporty or does not handle well, but I would save the ten grand and get the Acura. When I want a fast, sporty feel I'd jump into the Porsche!

I believe there have been several threads on this general subject.

I faced the same choice in late 2003. I chose the TL because the BMW it replaced wasn't being used for sporting purposes with an NSX in the garage, and I wanted a larger, winter-friendly vehicle for my daily driver.

For most people the TL is a better all-around choice. It is a better value, but it has the stigma of being a high-powered FWD and the resulting torque steer. If you don't drive above 7/10s on the street, that probably is not a determining factor.

If you must have RWD for sporting purposes, the 330i is a decent choice, although I would also look at the CPO late E39 540i from 2001-2003 and the CPO E46 M3 and M5, which also fall in the $33-43k range. There is also the 330xi with AWD, but to some a BMW without RWD is like a Jaguar with a cloth interior.

I will probably be replacing my TL with an M3 or M5 within a year or two, but only after the prices come down such that I can also afford a third car to fill the role of winter car/wagon on those days when I need to haul something, don't want to have to concentrate on driving a high powered RWD car through 6 inches of snow or have my M become a rolling salt-lick . . .

leR

BMW is absolutely the ultimate machine.

I think the replies from the moderator and brahtw8 are really to the points. Good to know I could earn the positive opinions from the forum. Thanks.

the_hedge

I just picked up my new 2006 325i with Sport Package...after test driving the 2005 Mercedes C320, 2005 Acura TL and TSX, 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe and sedan, 2005 Audi A4, and 2005 Lexus GS300...

...And I must say...the 2006 BMW 325i is my favorite car I drove out of all of them...by far. I'd spend the extra $10K to get the new BMW over the Acura TL anyday.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Don't get the Acura it's a rattle-trap and has in some models horrible cases of torque steer even when you're not gunning it. I would look into the G35x with its switch-on and off AWD system. Also the TL is no longer really the better all around choice since that basis is on outdated information. Sure the TL is a better choice in comparison with the E46 330i, but to the E90 that's questionable. The only department the TL succeeds in is being CHEAP and for some reason the fact that you own a boxster leads me to believe budget isn't your top priority. I would get an A4 quattro or a G35x for a winter beater. If you have your heart set on those two cars then I'd drive both of them and decide from there, 270hp FWD is excessive imo. Also if you're interested in the 2005 330i you can pick one up with an msrp of 43k zhp package (matches the tl's straightline performance with 35hp less) for 36k and since Acura doesn't bargain from their 34k price the aforementioned could very well be worth looking into. For 10k I would take the rival over the 330i in a budget sense, but for 2k I wouldn't. Eitherway Goodluck...

hi Tom, great to have another michiganian on board. you work up at msu as a faculty or just working in lansing?

1.8t quatro is a really good choice imo. you already have a boxter, so you don't really need another lowered rwd for winter. my 330i was great w/ snows, until we got over 5 inches.. then i was just floating above the snow, not going anywhere...

i was debating btw 1.8t and a 330i and opted to pay 15k more for my ride, so that's where i stand on the matter. i hated the a4 3.0, however, as it was slow and heavy, and didn't see a point in dropping all the extra cash for the bigger engine over the 1.8t.

i'm not a big fan of awd setup outside of audi's. bmw's is good from what i hear, but i really think rwd bimmers are the only way to go. as for the g35 sedan. first off, its way uglier than the coupe counterpart, and second the awd goes off after hitting 26?mph or something like that. i'd rather have full time awd, not "we'll turn off after a little bit" awd.

i've been meaning to test drive the TL and the tsx. they are both nice rides, and pricing is really good. (i drove a friend's TSX w/ auto. pretty nice, altho i wished for a manual to tap the 200 horses..) also consider that if you want a nav system, honda does make one of the best in the market. something else to think about i guess..

Argelius

FWIW, I traded in (at the end of the lease) a 330xi for an 2004 Acura TL with MT. I loved the BMW, but I'm promiscuous when it comes to cars and wanted to try an Acura. I love the navigation system (I'm a gadget nut too...), but that's about it.

I never really considered myself a "driving enthusiast", but I have found the torque steer on the Acura really annoying. (I think the MT makes it more noticable, but I could be wrong about that...) It bothers me so much, I'm going to trade the Acura in early and get a 2006 330xi this fall. (The waiting is going to kill me!)

I believe the original question was what's the better "value." Undeniably, the Acura is a better value. Just like a bottle of wine with a screw top is a better value than one with a cork. The Acura is a lot car for the money, but I'm convinced comparisons between the TL and the 3-series are unfair -- they are very different cars.

But having owned both cars (as well as a MB, Lexus, Audi, and Ford), I now know I'm a BMW fan for life...

icedragon

Just something to think about.

Acura is a Honda with leather.
Acura uses Honda parts.
Acura is not an international brand, they are sold as Acura cars in North America and China and as Honda cars in the rest of the world.

Similarly,
Lexus is a Toyota with leather.
Lexus uses Toyota parts.
Lexus is not an international brand, they are sold as Lexus cars in North America and China and as Toyota cars in the rest of the world.

But,
BMW uses BMW parts.
BMW is an international brand, they are sold as BMW's in ALL parts of the world.

Therefore,
Since Acura is just a Honda, I think BMW is a better idea.

I would rather go with the new BMW 330i, but it's a whole $10K more. I think the new 330i is a better machine overall, but your decision also depends on your budget.

They had some BMW 3-series stuff for anyone who has DISH network (satallite TV) and they had a "preview" of the new 3'r and it was awsome. I believe one of the things was how other companies try to compete with it and by the time they gain some glory from it BMW yet again alters the benchmark. Also BMW and some other car companies came to my school and showed us the new E90 and I must say that pictures really don't do the machine any justice, its really an amazing machine.

I've seen the new TL's do those also have the old chassis? I think they do.

Good luck with your buy.

i love badge flamefests... esp when sound logic is used...

as appealing as bimmers are, if i were in Tom's situation, i'd rather drop the 10k towards a kickin HT system. or something else for that matter. mmmmm boxster S.. heavily discounted e46 sounds good too, but the ground clearance would suck..

Big Foot

I drove both before I ordered a new 300i with Sport Package and MT.
The BMW has more leg room and, I think, a much better Drivers Experience, especailly with the rear wheel drive.
The Acura definately has front wheel torque.
Plus, there is the "snob appeal" with the BMW. (not important, but nice anyway)

Friend called earlier from the Acura dealer since I had one before my first BMW. He's deciding btwn the TL and Lex ES; not even considering BMW because it's more than $10K more and all he needs is to get to the train station/back home--replacing a 94 Maxima (to give you an idea where he's coming from).

I had a 93 Lexus ES, got the Acura TL in 98 because it seemed sportier, liked FWD for the winter. Drove a friend's 750 and that was it. Switched to BMW, got thru this winter without snowtires.

Overall, they are different cars at significantly different price points, despite what the ads say. If you want a great driving car and have the $$, it's a no brainer [bmwdance] . If you want a great car with great value and kinda sporty, the Acura's great.

01986s

Thanks to All for the Advice ...

In hind sight, I wish I could of found a discounted E46 330xi.

Still undecided but leaning BMW's way. Have to see how the 330xi drives in late fall.

Really wanted the E46 gray too, which has changed in the E90 series. (not as nice in my opinion)

theBMWenthusiast said:

BMW will last longer and be funner to drive
I'm still laughing my ass off at this graphic. Very funny.

And... 01986s, I think you should get the BMW if you can front the additional $10K. Like you, I tried just about everything in the field when looking for my next new car, but kept going back to the BMW dealership. I did drive an Acura and the gadget geek in me LOVED it. The bluetooth implementation is better, navigation system is better, extensive voice activation is better, dvd audio is beyond imagination, yadda yadda yadda. But there was something about the BMW drive that kept me going back to the BMW dealership. At the end of the day, I rationalized the reason I wanted the BMW was for the DRIVE. And I'm so glad I did.

hey!

I went with a 2002 330i instead of a brand new TL if that tells you anything.
I love Honda cars and I have owned many. Honda makes good cars but if you want an ultimate driving experience go with the bimmer no questions asked.