2003 325xi drive train noise

This a new car. About 7000 miles I notice a whinning/howling noise at various speed, ie., 45-50; 60-65 etc. while trying to maintain a constant speed. Go away with more acceleration.

Dealer has worked on the car 3 times: Insulated the center bearing, Installed a factory part called a vibration absorper, and yesterday replaced the transfer case which had burnt fluid and metal in the fluid.

The noise is still there. The dealer, (Concord BMW) has asked me to bring the car back in on 7/30/03 for further analysis. The dealer is being very sympathetic and proactive. NO COMPLAINTS here.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts???

The car really runs very well, if you can stand the annoying whine which tends to grate on the nerves.[?|] [?|]

Thanks

erey

I have the same issue with my 325xi wagon. Separately, I also have a creaking noise somewhere in back whenever the body flexes laterally (like going into a driveway or on uneven roads). Is yours a wagon?

erey

I purchased mine from BMW San Francisco and have service done at Weatherford in Berkeley. They have said that the driveline noise, which I describe as a "whine" rather than "howl" is normal for the xi series. As to the creaking with body flex, they claim not to be able to replicate it. I'm pretty sure that this one is related to it being a wagon and probably has something to do with decreased torsional rigidity due to the full rear opening.
Eric

ERIC---

Do you hear the whine all the time or at certain speeds? Like me?

Apparently Concord BMW thinks there is more to it than "just normal for xi" Nxt Wed will make my fourth trip into the svc. dept.

Larry

325ix drive train noise--fix maybe?

Sounds similar to mine. I can get it at 45 and above at steady speeds.

After 4 visits, BMW just ordered a new differential for mine. I'll let you know how that works out.
[wave]

zman

Yes, please update us on this.

I started to notice a 'hissing' sound as I go through a curve, specially a right curve road. I notice the sound is heard more now than before.[?|]

Why would do this?

rlarryjohnson said:
This a new car. About 7000 miles I notice a whinning/howling noise at various speed, ie., 45-50; 60-65 etc. while trying to maintain a constant speed. Go away with more acceleration.

Dealer has worked on the car 3 times: Insulated the center bearing, Installed a factory part called a vibration absorper, and yesterday replaced the transfer case which had burnt fluid and metal in the fluid.

The noise is still there. The dealer, (Concord BMW) has asked me to bring the car back in on 7/30/03 for further analysis. The dealer is being very sympathetic and proactive. NO COMPLAINTS here.

The car really runs very well, if you can stand the annoying whine which tends to grate on the nerves.[?|] [?|]

Thanks
I guess Larry thinks talking about this since last August is "fun"? [8]

This is too strange for words

rlarryjohnson said:

Thanks
Has anyone realized this reads amazingly like our LARRY E. hmmm makes one wonder [thumbd]

Disappointed

rlarryjohnson said:
Sounds similar to mine. I can get it at 45 and above at steady speeds.

After 4 visits, BMW just ordered a new differential for mine. I'll let you know how that works out.
[wave]
I came to this board seeking information. What happened next was bizarre. I did not understand why so many with the defect were defending BMW. It now is clear to me that this is not an unbiased forum for the consumer to share ideas, problems and solutions.

"Larry_E" is a plant. He has the identical signatures, same car model, and same word selection on this post and on other boards. He has been debating the steptronic defect and probably others since July of last year. Maybe earlier. Above he is saying it is his "differential"?

I refused to engage in the circus. I now realize most other members already come to the same conclusion. At least on the other boards they identify themselves as working for BMWNA.