1987 325is

new suspension, new rims/wheels, better brakes, repaint it, maybe different seats, exhaust, camshaft, new belts, new radiator, new speakers and subs...........anthing i left out?[:D]

I wanna make it the bestest car ever[hihi]

epj3

StuartMchenry said:
Yea, different bumpers [:p]

Why are you going to get a new camshaft?
I'm pretty sure it's becuase it can add power beucase they change the timing of the valves (basically a perminant "variable valve timing", only it never changes)

Yea, i wanna just use the M20 and make it to the max. I dont really want to transplant another engine in there, so im just gonna balls-to-the-walls it. O yea.......and new floormats[thumb]

dsobering47 said:
Yea, i wanna just use the M20 and make it to the max. I dont really want to transplant another engine in there, so im just gonna balls-to-the-walls it. O yea.......and new floormats[thumb]
Balls-to-the-wall will require a hell of a lot more than a new camshaft and an exhaust.

If you want a balls-out M20, you need:
-3.0L/3.1L fully forged, 10.2:1 bottomend
-ported to the 9's cylinder head
-5 angle race valve job
-Schrick dual pattern or 288camshaft
-extrude honed intake manifold
-big 6 AFM
-S50 21.5# injectors
-nice intake setup, exhaust system (no cat)
-4.11 rear end out of an M3
-dyno tuned software

THEN, you're 325 will be a rocket, and be putting about 200hp to the rear wheels.

You will LOSE performance with a hot cam on a 2.5L motor.

stupid question: has anyone ever seen an e30 with more than 250 horsepower? (non-turbo/supercharged)

i didnt think it was possible to juice that many horsies out of an M20 engine.......

prove me wrong![thumb]

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
StuartMchenry said:
Balls-to-the-wall will require a hell of a lot more than a new camshaft and an exhaust.

If you want a balls-out M20, you need:
-3.0L/3.1L fully forged, 10.2:1 bottomend
-ported to the 9's cylinder head
-5 angle race valve job
-Schrick dual pattern or 288camshaft
-extrude honed intake manifold
-big 6 AFM
-S50 21.5# injectors
-nice intake setup, exhaust system (no cat)
-4.11 rear end out of an M3
-dyno tuned software

THEN, you're 325 will be a rocket, and be putting about 200hp to the rear wheels.

You will LOSE performance with a hot cam on a 2.5L motor.

I have an '89 325i with chip,sports exhaust (one free flow cat), and larger free flowing air box . it was on the dyno at 190 RWHP its euro spec (dunno if it make a differance) and all else is stock. 60 comes it a little under 7secs (beat the living c%%p out of a new 2003 civic R (he was not happy [:D] ) so you don't need to do too much to the little 6 potter under the hood to get a smile on your face (it'll also allow you to take up sign language as you fly by new cars ,the new 325i drivers especially [fake] )

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Oh one more if you funnel the air directly from the front grill into the air box it'll force more air into the box giving the best performance, with other filters that just sit in the engine bay the runing motor heats up the air droping the power. mmmmmmm cold air induction [:p]

mikev said:
Oh one more if you funnel the air directly from the front grill into the air box it'll force more air into the box giving the best performance, with other filters that just sit in the engine bay the runing motor heats up the air droping the power. mmmmmmm cold air induction [:p]
Where would you run that pipe, I am firmly aginst hibeam removal.

in between the high and low beams on the driver's side.....correct? before i bought the cone airfilter, i did that with my airbox. Buy the cone airfilter and make yer own heatshield......it does make a difference!

[thumb]

Looks like a great car.
First off replace the hot air intake with an airbox.Try washing & waxing it.Those wheels are great.A chip would be cool too.
It's a great car.Don't spend good money decreasing performance & drivability.
Maintanance items should keep you busy for a while.
Again --Great car!!!

i do wash/wax the car....but everytime i do, paint comes off the hood and sunroof since it is oxidizing and thats not helping it....the air intake really did make a difference, and i made a heatshield for it, so its much better than the factory airbox. Thanks anyways[thumb]