What do you think¿

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
I am thinking about buying this vehicle. 1991 BMW 318is, 2 door, M42 DOHC 1.8l, 94,000 original miles, $1,750.
If somebody has unlimited carfax reports could they please email me the results
VIN- WBAAF9311MEE73247
The guy wasn't there when I went over to take the pics so I couldn't get interior or engine pics. The are bothe in pretty good shape though (I saw them last monday, and the engine runs like a charm.)

I can't attach the pics because they are over 60kb. Any suggestions¿

I ran the VIN on carfax and this is what I got:
Accident Report Date: Source: Detail:
01/06/1997 Florida Police Report Accident Reported
Involving a rear impact
with another motor vehicle

It doesn't say how bad the car was damaged, anyway it's not a good sign, even with minor damage it's going to rust. Carfax also doesn't know how many owners it went through so if I was you I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not you so it's your decision. Hope this helped.

Big Daddy

One rear-ender would not be reason enough alone for me to pass on it. What if it was a minor, even no damage rear ender and the only reason a report was done was because the "victim" complained of an injury? Climb under it and check it out.

Not to mention that there is a lot of talk that Carfax is becoming terribly inaccurate. In fact they have an error listed on my 318is, I know because it has only had one other owner, my brother.

I checked my dad's car and the record is clean although it was involved in a rear end collision, some ashole in a Liberty hit it right in the trunk it also failed inspection ones because the dude said the brakes are a bit worn and wanted to charge a huge some for replacement. I guess if a sedan rear ended that car I would still check it out but if it was an SUV I would pass. SUV's bumper is so high it just misses a sedan's bumper and the trunk has to stop that huge thing, not good, unles it was moving at 1mph, lol.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
There is really not any visible problem with the back, and rust isn't much of a problem when it only rains once every four or five months. I have some pictures of it, but they are to big to download. Did it say how many miles where on the vehicle¿

THe las milage record is on 12/10/1996, it says 68,423miles. If it says 94k, the odometer may be rolled back, the car traveled almost 70k miles in the first 5 years so, if everything stayed the same the real milage could easily be 150k miles or more. I don't know what to tell you, carfax says there is no signs of odometer roll back but the last reading was 7 years ago.

for the mileage, there are many probale reasons. change of owner, or the owner got another car for commuitng....etc,...

i'd say take the car to a tech and have him check it.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
Does anybody know how to shrink the pics so that I can post them. The cars was replaced by a merc when the girl got her doctorate. So it had been sitting in a garage for a while.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
Thanks bro. He said that it had only one owner, but they never mentioned anything about an accident. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bargaining chip!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo! Everything else pretty much is copasetic with what he said. She bought it in Florida, drove it to school in Cali. Stayed between Cali and Nevada during school, and bought a Merc for graduation.

Last edited:
THe las milage record is on 12/10/1996, it says 68,423miles. If it says 94k, the odometer may be rolled back, the car traveled almost 70k miles in the first 5 years so, if everything stayed the same the real milage could easily be 150k miles or more. I don't know what to tell you, carfax says there is no signs of odometer roll back but the last reading was 7 years ago.
Just because the car had 68,432 miles on it and 7 years later it states 94k does not mean the odometer has been rolled back. I have a 72 240z that has 98k original miles on it. I have not driven the car in almost 7 years (besides the weekly drive around block/town for tuning purposes). I haven't even registered the car (got new tabs) with the DMV for over 5 years now. That is how it would not have a reading for a long time. My good friend has a "96" saleen mustang conv. with 18k original miles. He has won many awards in the stock category. He never drives that car as well. He is thinking about selling it. That car is very very sweet. My point is sometimes people own cars they never drive except once in a while for whatever reasons.

Last edited: