Tick, Tick, Tick ? ? ?

I have a 325IC and I wanted to get rid of that ticking that the valves make when they are in need of adjustment. Well, i got a valve job (not me the car lOl) and guess what it was a waste of money they were barely off. :( MADE NO DIFFERENCE [?|]What the hell is it and how can I rid my life of this tick, tick, ticking ! [mad]

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

Big Daddy

Could it be fuel injectors? Sometimes they will make a tick sound more noticable in some cars than others. Could it be the timing chain or a related part? Just some thoughts.

M20 fuel injectors are loud as hell, plain and simple. They make all kinds of racket if the engine is running and the hood is open, but you shouldn't really be able to hear the injectors if the hood is closed.

epj3

YOU'Ll NEVER GET RID OF THAT TAPPING, GET USED TO IT.

IF IT BOTHERS YOU ENOUGH ADJUST THEM TO WITHIN 0.09MM BUT HAVE FUN REPLACING A CAM SHAFT IN 3 MONTHS.

GET AN E36 IF YOU WANT A QUIET CAR

You can adjust the tappets as much as you like, but if the cam is worn, your wasting your time - it happens and as long as it isnt really bad and affect performance, its not a problem. As said, could be your injectors too.

epj3

echothreezero said:
You can adjust the tappets as much as you like, but if the cam is worn, your wasting your time - it happens and as long as it isnt really bad and affect performance, its not a problem. As said, could be your injectors too.
What do you mean as much as you want? If you are to far out of spec where they are to TIGHT, your cam will get ground down to shit pretty soon. If you put it to far out of spect where it's to far away - you'll burn up the valves themselves.

If you mean as much as you want meaning doing actual valve adjustments, then yea you're right. Most of these cars have worn rocker shafts, worn rockers, worn valve springs, worn cam's, etc. The biggest noise maker in the head is probably the rockers themselves. The rockers wear out, and get out of the factory position on the rocker shaft, and that makes TONS of noise. My M30 is much much much quieter than my M20 - and the rockers themselves on my M30 are in much better shape.

Should I either get a used head from ebay or somewhere or buy a rebuilt one. My Mech. also said it's the the head (rockers). He said that the valves were barley off and really didn't need to be adjusted but he dialed them in while he was there.

I know that these motors have a little tic to them which I've never really minded but now it's louder, like the water dripping in the sink ALL NIGHT LONG and it starting to my you crazy. So needless to say... this tic, tic, tic is ticking me off.

I use to have a 89 ix and no tic what so ever. Maybe I can buy a bottle of Tic-B-Gone, that be kick a*s LOL

Thankx all for the info

epj3 said:
If you mean as much as you want meaning doing actual valve adjustments, then yea you're right. Most of these cars have worn rocker shafts, worn rockers, worn valve springs, worn cam's, etc. The biggest noise maker in the head is probably the rockers themselves. The rockers wear out, and get out of the factory position on the rocker shaft, and that makes TONS of noise. My M30 is much much much quieter than my M20 - and the rockers themselves on my M30 are in much better shape.
That's what I meant - in other words, you can adjust the valves till the cows come home, till hell freezes over, from here to kallamzoo and back, and if you have a worn cam, you'll never remove the ticking.

If it is your injectors - then run a bottle of injector cleaner through - perhaps this will be your fabled "tic-b-gone"!

Otherwise, you could spend $$$ trying to fix it with only limited success - all depends on how much you want to spend to remove a nuisance.

epj3

echothreezero said:
That's what I meant - in other words, you can adjust the valves till the cows come home, till hell freezes over, from here to kallamzoo and back, and if you have a worn cam, you'll never remove the ticking.

If it is your injectors - then run a bottle of injector cleaner through - perhaps this will be your fabled "tic-b-gone"!

Otherwise, you could spend $$$ trying to fix it with only limited success - all depends on how much you want to spend to remove a nuisance.
Okay gotcha [:p]

I used to religiously use chevron techron additive. I honest to god thing redline fuel additive is 10x better.

I've used chevron techron (didn't notice much) in the past and I just got some more to run in it but maybe I'll return it and get the Red line one insted.

Check this out, once in a while I'd run ultra 94 octane ya know just to clean stuff out. The last few times I did it made the car run like dog sh*t! Weird ???

Back to the TICK, the shortest route to the solution is most likely to get a rebuilt head.

epj3

Funkgoat said:
I've used chevron techron (didn't notice much) in the past and I just got some more to run in it but maybe I'll return it and get the Red line one insted.

Check this out, once in a while I'd run ultra 94 octane ya know just to clean stuff out. The last few times I did it made the car run like dog sh*t! Weird ???

Back to the TICK, the shortest route to the solution is most likely to get a rebuilt head.
Running 94 in an e30 will do nothing but make it run like crap. If anything use 89 max, becuase it still contains detergents the 94 has. But using a 94 octane gas in a car who's timing and compression ratio are of that to use 87 or 89, will do nothing but decrease the power.

I always used 89 in my e30 (seemed to smooth out the idle) - anything over that DEFINITELY bogged down the engine as compared to the 89 or 87.

Wow! In NZ, the lowest octane fuel we have is 91, with us e30 owners using 96, and those with performance tuned vehicles 98. WE think we are hard-done-by because we can't buy 100 without a special permit. (You can buy 100 in japan).

I would never run on anything lower than 96 unless I had a really modern car.

My BMW manual recomends 96, and the engine has been tuned to 96. Runs like crap on 91.

Ben

I really wouldnt worry about that ticking that much. you have an old engine, yes its gonna make some noise, but it still runs fine right? itll be ok.

You are right the M20 hates high octane. Maybe if I had a chip but 87 or 89 it runs great. Now I'm looking for a rebuilt head so I can rid my ears of the tic. It didn't do it till the year. If any one can tell me where a site to get a good deal that would be kick a*s

Tanks