Selling the Mercedes S-Class, buying the BMW 3-Series

Hi, I'm about to head off to my first year in college. I'm selling my S430 since I need some more business capital. Plus, i'm kinda bored with that car, it doesn't fit me and its way too much arrogance. I'm really thinkin about gettin a 3-series, since I enjoyed my Mercedes SLK230 because it was sporty.. I need to know how safe and reliable these are cuz I have had alot of problems with the benz. Safety is a big priority in my concerns.

And tell me if this is as good of a deal as I think:
2001 325CI Convertible with 5,000 miles for $23,000.

Any known problems with that model year?
Is BMW warranty bumper-bumper for 4yr,50K?

Thanks, and lookin forward to joining you. Pics of my car are here if you wanna see.

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/apricotscrub

We all like BMWs here but since you had S430 and SLK230, I dont think 325 is the one for you, you'll feel much less power and sporty feeling.

If you're not planning to buy a ///M, at least 330, don't buy 325 unless u test drive one and like the perforamance.

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
"2001 325CI Convertible with 5,000 for $23,000" ...

there must be something really wrong with the car. The minimum that the car would be sold for is $33,000+. I bought my 2001 330CiC with 7,000 miles for $38,500 about 6 months ago.

No way a person who buys a car for $45,000,... drive 5,000 miles (which is on average 4 months) and sells it for half the price. If this is for real the guy must be a dumbass, swimming in money, or is very smart. But I would be very very careful about this deal. Never in my past 6-months of watching eBay auctions for this car have I ever seen it go under $32,000. But with 5,000 it should be somewhat more....

Could this be... Fraud.. Stolen...etc?

yeah it seems too good to be true, but if i dont like it i can sell it and make like 6,000 easy. I guess if the VIN Check comes back alright and the BMW warranty is still active, then it will be alright. btw, s430 is real slow 0-60 in 6.9 and slk is like 7.1.

apricotscrub said:
yeah it seems too good to be true, but if i dont like it i can sell it and make like 6,000 easy. I guess if the VIN Check comes back alright and the BMW warranty is still active, then it will be alright. btw, s430 is real slow 0-60 in 6.9 and slk is like 7.1.
I would have that car checked out from head to toe by a mechanic and a bodyshop. Smells like a theft recovery, salvage, flood title, etc.

As for speed, the 325cic is not going to give you much, if any, improvement in acceleration. I think its 0-60 time is more like 7.5 with the manual trans, owing to the extra weight of the convertible. 0-60 times aren't everything, but you mentioned it so I thought I'd comment.

wow, thats slower than i thought, but the torque i suppose would feel like the slk230 which is what i liked, in contrast to the s430 which is just feels like jet acceleration. slk makes your head jolt back, i wonder if this will too. but i need something less arrogant for college.

ps, how reliable are the 2001 325cic? alot of problems or never?

Last edited:
in that case, i would suggest not to take bimmer cabrio but a coupe or sedan. the bimmer conv is just too nice and looks too upperclass to rate lower than a SLK. i think the slk is indeed not as "valuably" looking. it is a smaller car and a lot of people therefor could have the impression that it has to way cheaper. the coupe versions of bmw are pretty much known and public kind of got used to them. they are more stealthy for your purposes. you know what i mean?

oh and for the punch, yes the car has the punch you look for.

apricotscrub said:
i need something less arrogant for college.

ps, how reliable are the 2001 325cic? alot of problems or never?
I don't mean to dissuade you from the 3er, but it is likely to invoke the same perceptions as an SLK230. Neither will, in and of itself, make you a hit with the granola crowd, if you care.

As for reliability, I don't have personal experience with the E46 cars, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. I am sure they have their quirks, but I would think reliability would be a non-issue or a positive for the 325cic.

As for the feeling of acceleration, the 325 will give you that 'on cam' feeling when it hits the powerband, which most people equate with being pushed back in the seat. That is one thing that is great about a normally aspirated engine in general and the bmw six in particular. My friend's S4 is certainly faster, but it has a linear power curve that never gives you that shove.

Last edited:
well i really love convertibles for the summer, i have had 2 already since i started driving less than a year ago. i dont think it will be good for the winter, but its stupid to drive any nice car in the winter, so thats why i have my jeep i suppose. i hate rag tops but i might make an exception. i love hard tops after my experiences with the s-class, but the convertible 3-series is just as nice as the hard top 3-series, i just happened to stumple on the deal for 2001 325cic 5,000miles for 23,000$. and they are more valuable to sell, any bimmer 1999+ will be a target but it will not be a blatant F.U. like an s-class. I dont hope to gain popularity with my car, because usually it just creates jealousy and confusion. I like to be seen in a lesser car if possible. But i also love cars so much and bmw is more for younger people and its a driver's car.

ps, i swear i will not mod this car in which so many mods are out there for.. i was a modding addict whenever i got a car.

Last edited:
that'd run me close to the cost of my used s-class, and in my opinion too much money for a small entry level car. this is going to be my daily driver that is not outrageous like ferrari or s-class, but nice enough for me. Plus, i need some capital to put towards my business.

1994 saab turbo convertible, true mileage unknown, a battery exploded on the backseat a week ago, head/valve oil leaks, rust... i dont know who would want it.

Miz

WOW

Hey dude,
Don't get me wrong......I love my BMW's but that Benzo is really hot.....I mean that is no little Benz. I don't know maybe you'll enjoy a 3 series more but I'm thinking you should try getting the new 5 or something that will at least be up to par with your Benz.
Miz.

epj3

PuShAkOv said:
"2001 325CI Convertible with 5,000 for $23,000" ...

there must be something really wrong with the car. The minimum that the car would be sold for is $33,000+. I bought my 2001 330CiC with 7,000 miles for $38,500 about 6 months ago.

No way a person who buys a car for $45,000,... drive 5,000 miles (which is on average 4 months) and sells it for half the price. If this is for real the guy must be a dumbass, swimming in money, or is very smart. But I would be very very careful about this deal. Never in my past 6-months of watching eBay auctions for this car have I ever seen it go under $32,000. But with 5,000 it should be somewhat more....

Could this be... Fraud.. Stolen...etc?
My local dealer has a certified preowned 2001 red 325ix, and it is going for $26,000.