Electric fan

davidy

Hello all,

I hope some one can help me here. Does anyone know when should the electric fan come on? should it come on as soon as you turn on the air-condition or is it when the air-condition is on already but the engine needs to reach a certain (higher) temperature?
I have a 91 325i and the electric fan does not come on at all. It does work though (i checked by by-passing everyting). Is there some kind of a thermostat that needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

--David

rjp325i

Yes the fan should come on when the A/C comes on. There is a resistor that sometimes (frequently)goes bad located up in front of the radiator and yes there is a thermostat (coolant sensor) that is screwed into the radiator usually on the passenger side near the top. BMP in Tyler, TX has the stock temp ones as well as a lower temp one that cuts in earlier when the A/C is not on. I installed this and it is worthwhile if you do much hot weather driving and its cheap. The fan has 2 speeds a low and a high. If you jump the resistor and it works thats the problem. Good luck, it should not be hard. The web address for BMP is www.bmpdesign.com

Last edited: