Brake service

The brake service display came on so I took my 2000 328 to the dealer. They told me that both the brake pads and rotors need to be replaced. They claimed that by design, the rotors are very soft and in most cases need to be replaced (i.e., not resurfaced). Is this true? I have only about 30000 miles and find it very strange that they would design things this way. It's not very economic.

Yes, it is true. E46 brakes are designed to be soft. 30K miles out of a set is just about right.

You can either have the dealer replace them for you or do yourself. You will pay around $750 for everything at the dealer. [eek]

If you do it yourself, you can do everything for less than $400, if not less.

zman

I would agree with brake pads, but I am not sure about the disk.

Does any one else have the same opinion?[confused]

J

JamieD22

Get a 2nd opinion...

I suppose that's all together possible - but I would definitely get a second opinion before spending a dime! When I picked up my e46 it had 30k on it - I had the dealer change all 4 pads at about 35k (squeeking brakes, apparently them OEM pads were recalled on my particular build), every ounce of work was covered under warranty.

I can't imagine your rotors would be through after only 30k - they should be able to machine/resurface them, the pads (though you should check to see if yours can be replaced 'due to the recall' as well) you could probably replace. And though Akakubi is a good source for info (being an autoX guy), I just don't see a $750 service visit after only 30k!

**Alright, just called my dealer and referenced your scenerio; Tech stated that the rotors "typically" need replacement around 30k-45k miles. He stated for front pads & rotors you're looking at $490. He stated the rear pads & rotors probably do not require service this early (hence the price difference).

[scratch] There's bound to be a way around some of the cost, though. If you're anything like me, you'll try to (at the very least) get the pads covered under warranty. Usually when you're spending a few hundred the dealer will work with you.