Attention all BMW owners!!!!

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
I was just talking to some "guy"(actually a co-worker) and he said that BMW's look like "squared off, boxy, CIVIC's with nice interiors"!!!! And he was serious!!! He said he would much rather have a CADILLAC of all things......oh brothers (and the occasional sister[:D] ) please tell me that this is an isolated incident.....please[confused] .

no it surely is not isolated, but there once was a movie with a title that just is so what of perfect for these occasions:forgive them as they don't know what they do....[rolleyes]

some people just have no idea, or are simply misguided in questions of taste....that's normal. just turn around and walk away. or of course laugh in his face.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
Number one. The Honda company totally ripped off the look of the civic from the 1992 3 series, so if there is any comparison, it would be that Honda is trying to make their cars look like something they will never be. Number two. The new Cadillacs are definately very ugly.

epj3

So what if they look like cadilac, they are still bmw's [:p] [thumb]

but yea, i dont think they have anything in common with the new cadilacs [screwy]

um...let me put my 2 cent in

Well il say this ? Bmw has been building cars for yrs with alot of history behind them and the engineering desighn has always been inovaited with diffrent types of cars they have produce
As for honda i remember when gas was so high and they had this tiny little car that dam near fit in your living room due to that oil
crisis crap ...i think the nsx and the younger generation and the economy fueled honda ..as for cadilac there 32 valve northstar kicks royal but on the track and in racing boats to ...cadilac's has always been the fat daddy wallet luxuary car period but to compare it with a bmw ...[screwy] and dum [bmwkick] [burnout] do this look like a honda ? [confused]

Attachments

Re: um...let me put my 2 cent in

dwayne said:
Well il say this ? Bmw has been building cars for yrs with alot of history behind them and the engineering desighn has always been inovaited with diffrent types of cars they have produce
As for honda i remember when gas was so high and they had this tiny little car that dam near fit in your living room due to that oil
crisis crap ...i think the nsx and the younger generation and the economy fueled honda ..as for cadilac there 32 valve northstar kicks royal but on the track and in racing boats to ...cadilac's has always been the fat daddy wallet luxuary car period but to compare it with a bmw ...[screwy] and dum [bmwkick] [burnout] do this look like a honda ? [confused]
I think I need to correct a serious misperception about Honda's pedigree.

Just so the new guys know where my loyalty lies, in case you haven't seen me in other threads, I am a die-hard bimmer-fanatic that also appreciates other examples of automotive excellence. I have a 1994 325i (daily driver) and a 1993 Acura NSX (weekends/track).

Honda dominated F1 in the 80s and early 90s the way Ferrari dominates today. Anyone heard of Ayrton Senna? Honda has been racing and winning in various forms since the 50s.

Hondas are not inferior in quality, engineering, or bloodline. Watch them compete in scca, speed touring or gt, IRL or F1 this weekend. I'll be watching them at Road America.

The civics are meant to be reliable, economical transportation. That is why we laugh when someone puts a bunch of stickers, a grapefruit shooter and a double-decker sushi bar on one. That is also why we cry when we get dusted by that guy who knows how to build one that runs 11s in the quarter.

Its okay for us to love our BMWs without having to always proclaim that everybody else just drives a sh!tbox. I love my 325i and have basically vowed to always have the blau mit weiss in the garage (blue with white, i.e. the roundel for those who haven't been following "The Marque" as I like to call BMW.)

I know some of you guys are in high school and have these little battles with the local ricer crew, whom I find as ridiculous as you do. Just look at it this way. I think the ricer phenomenon is a good thing, as we all get a lot of enjoyment out of it. They get to think they're cool because they have carbon fiber windshield wipers with pseudo-HIDs that blink in unison with their subwoofers, and we get to laugh at them. Its a win win situation.

But, don't dismiss a company that is innovative and rich in history because some people like to turn their products into rolling monstrocities.

[wave]

Last edited:

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Have you noticed how the ricers in their civics are always bragging about there car tell you every detail about how its riced without you even asking. However the majority of bimmer owners dont do this. why??? because we know, we have one of the best made, fastest and best handling this side of the gradually growing band of supercars. [hihi]

flashinthepan

Well.....

Them old Datsun 510's were kinda cool, very simple but kinda cool.

But those were the old days

&

if it aint a Bimmer, "it aint a Bimmer".

english

You can't compare apples and oranges, the same goes for Hondas and Bimmers, two different car classes.

They are both great cars in their own right, but if I had a choice need I say more.[burnout]

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Ok Brahtw8...I agree with you 100% I have also loved Honda Civic and various Acura's(til I got my 5series[:D] ). Buuuuuut if you look at my original post it will show you that I was upset that he compared the looks of a BMW to the looks of a Honda. Its like telling a Ferrari owner that his car looks like a MR2!!! Thats all I am saying.....

adrean8j said:
Ok Brahtw8...I agree with you 100% I have also loved Honda Civic and various Acura's(til I got my 5series[:D] ). Buuuuuut if you look at my original post it will show you that I was upset that he compared the looks of a BMW to the looks of a Honda. Its like telling a Ferrari owner that his car looks like a MR2!!! Thats all I am saying.....
My comments were directed primarily at the post immediately above mine (i.e. the one that I quoted).

The E36 design had a very strong impact and is still being copied today. The E46 is evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, in exterior design and has some aspects that look similar to the Hondas that were 'inspired' by the E36, in particular the current and previous generation Civic.

An MR2 does look like a Ferrari, which was the idea. It actually outperformed the Ferrari 348 (IMHO a rather poor example of a Ferrari) in one magazine's 0-60 test, something that Toyota proclaimed in the ads ("If it were any slower, it would be a Ferrari").

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
brahtw8 said:
My comments were directed primarily at the post immediately above mine (i.e. the one that I quoted).

The E36 design had a very strong impact and is still being copied today. The E46 is evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, in exterior design and has some aspects that look similar to the Hondas that were 'inspired' by the E36, in particular the current and previous generation Civic.

An MR2 does look like a Ferrari, which was the idea. It actually outperformed the Ferrari 348 (IMHO a rather poor example of a Ferrari) in one magazine's 0-60 test, something that Toyota proclaimed in the ads ("If it were any slower, it would be a Ferrari").

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
TOUCHE MON AMI TOUCHE

yeah you are right that BMW has influenced other cars although I think of all the car the Toyota Tercel looked more "bimmerlike" than the Honda Civic. Ciao!

adrean8j said:
TOUCHE MON AMI TOUCHE

yeah you are right that BMW has influenced other cars although I think of all the car the Toyota Tercel looked more "bimmerlike" than the Honda Civic. Ciao!
I can be abrupt at times. I admit it. [fake] [;)]

I should do a little digging in my 'archives' (LOL) for the initial reviews of the E36 3er. I recall it being criticized at the time for being too japanese looking. Funny how that works out.

The tercel rear lights are quite E36.

To be perfectly honest, I never thought twice about owning a BMW for that very reason. Then I discovered the Z3. Of course, we're talking about appearances, not performance.

But, they don't look anything like a cadillac.

Last edited: