1998 M3 Defrost Works, but no Heat!!

jonparisi

Hi all - great forum,looking forward to your posts.

I have a 1998 M3 and the heater blows cold air, however the defrot works just fine. Any idea what is causing this? How much to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon

First things first...make sure the radiator/coolant is full. Second...make sure your thermostat is working properly, as if it isn't, it would stay in an open position and not allow the coolant to be heated properly. Check the temp gage and make sure temp is in the middle after warmup.
Is the defroster hot/warm? If it is, the problem may be in the climate control...but check the simple things first. Good luck.

spta97

I don't know if I will be much help (having an 05 M3 and a Ford Explorer) but on my Explorer board many people have problems with what they refer to as the "Blend Door" - the symptoms sound the same as yours. Basically it is the door that directs the hot / cold air.

Not that a truck will assist you with repairing your M3, but what I wanted to say was most people say it is a real PITA and you have to take apart a lot of the dash to do it. Again, this could be easier or harder (my vote is with #2) on the M3...everything seems to be...those crazy Germans!